Saturday, April 30, 2011

You've Got the Love I Need to See Me Through!

The final trip I took in March was a technical exchange in Ancash, Peru. One of the things that I do here in Peru is help train youth to become peer educators and leaders in HIV and Aids prevention. We receive money from PEPFAR, the U.S.President's fund to eliminate AIDS worldwide and conduct a series of trainings and events throughout the year creating peer educators. Alyse, a health volunteer from cycle 14 and my work and site mate coordinated an event where we took 5 high school kids, 2 professors, and a school Principal with us on a field trip to Ancash, Peru. It took two buses, 20 hours each way, and a concussion. The purpose of the trip was to have an educational exchange, the kids gave HIV prevention presentations at the local Ancash high schools as well as a cultural exchange, they got to see parts of their country they might have otherwise never seen. The kids were absolutely wonderful.They were energized, worked hard and played a little harder. Spending a week with them was this unforgettable experience I will cherish always. It gave me such great pride in the work I am doing, this trip changed me just as much if not more than it changed them. When I finally got back to Tumbes, I returned wit this new found energy and confidence as to why I am here and why it matters. Part of it was Early In Service Training but most of it was this trip. I hope to coordinate my own exchange within the next year. Here are your fotos...

                                















 

No comments: